Friday, September 4, 2009

Week 9 - Aug 28th, 2009

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…Thinning out may be hazardous to your health! Being a full time working mother with two kids in sports, a family to feed and that forever pile of laundry, can be quite stressful. Life is a balancing act us sports mommies (and daddies) know well!

I wasn’t ready for the day to start when my alarm went off. It kept beeping and I kept snoozing. I played the “5 more minute game” at least four times before my husband, standing over me with the overhead light on, asked if I planned on going to work that day. I stared at him with my most pathetic expression, and proceeded to tell him I thought I had a fever. I told him I was sure it was the beginnings of the Swine Flu and I shouldn’t infect my co-workers. He arched his brows and had his “Get your butt out of bed” face on. So I grumpily said “FINE” and threw the warm, cozy, down comforter off me. I had to take a power shower and do the famous Lacie 5-Minute face and hair. Needless to say I was not looking my best. I arrived at work to an email storm and one email direction from my manager who was currently in Japan. The direction was vague and I had no way to contact him for clarification due to the time difference. I immediately prioritized my day, plugged into my IPod and got to work. Before I knew it, I looked up and I was three minutes late for my carpool. I finally got home and had two sips of coffee before my son called from the lake and said he needed a ride home- back in the car! I did the mental math and decided I still had just enough time to get to the gym before I had to take my daughter to soccer practice. I completed my 45 minutes on Xena and did a little weight work and looked up and it was 6:15- she needed to be at the soccer fields by 6:30. I was really late! I ran out of the gym, jumped in the car, called her and told her to meet me at the curb. I pulled up, she jumped in and off we went!

We arrived at the soccer fields at 6:43. Coach Rob told Kacie to take a lap. I looked at her apologetically and mouthed “Sorry”. Coach Rob pointed at me and said “You too Lacie…you know the rule!” Dang it! I was hoping the Coach was a little preoccupied to remember the parents had to take a lap with their child if they brought them late to practice! Luckily, I still had my fancy workout clothes on and plugged back into my IPod. I was happily jogging along the back side of the field when out of nowhere…Intense PAIN on the side of my head! I woke up to concerned faces asking me if I was alright. I couldn’t see and reached for my glasses, which were gone! Someone put an ice pack on my face and I asked what happened. There was one man who kept apologizing over and over so I turned my head in that direction and asked “Did you do this?” He said he was indeed the culprit and that he had kicked the soccer ball that knocked me out cold. Another woman who had found my crushed glasses frame and one lens was desperately trying to get the lens back in said “yes...that would be my husband”. She was busy giving directions to the crowd not to come any closer. I shut my eyes trying to make them all disappear. My biggest vocabulary pet peeve is the misuse of the word “mortified.” It should be reserved for the utmost in humiliation. Spinach in your teeth at a family dinner is not mortifying; spinach in your teeth while giving a presentation to a group of vice presidents is mortifying. I was mortified. I just wanted to get to my car. I called my sister and she came to pick me up. She immediately took me to the walk-in clinic where I passed out again while handing the medical receptionist my insurance card.

Little tip from me to you…If you ever want to speed up the walk-in clinic process, just pass out. I came to and everyone was running…the doctor even came to me in the waiting room and before I knew it I was on a gurney being rushed to the ER. I underwent a CAT scan and some eye tests and was observed for hours. I am happy to report no traumatic brain injury but I am down a pair of Chanel frames.

Here’s the lesson for today. Get out of bed when the alarm goes off. Faking the Swine Flu only leads to a bad hair day! Avoid perfectionism…If you have to cut your workout a little short due to family obligations…accept it and add a little time tomorrow. Each day is unpredictable and if we don’t allow ourselves a little grace now and then, we end up getting knocked out cold by a rogue soccer ball!

My Stats for the week:

Starting weight: 242 pounds
Previous weight: 228 pounds
Current weight: 225 pounds
Current Weight Loss: -3 pounds
Total weight loss: 17 pounds

No comments: