Friday, September 4, 2009

Week 5 Jul 31, 2009











This has been a full week and I am thrilled to share the details. I jogged/ walked the Auquafest 5K on Saturday. It was the hardest, most invigorating experience of my life. We arrived at 7:30 am to register. I was extremely nervous as we walked to the gazebo in the center of town. My stomach was churning as I saw all the skinny people with their tiny little outfits pinning their race numbers on their designer jerseys. To my surprise no one gave me the “what’s the fat girl doing here” look. I only saw encouragement and smiles. As I walked up to the registration table, my heart sunk because I saw the labels on the race t-shirt boxes and the largest size was extra-large. My husband purchased the shirt and said “You’ll fit into this soon!”

My number was 126 and I pinned it on proudly. I was ready. I was hydrated, had my protein and carb breakfast and had my ankle professionally taped. The starting line was up by Mt. Pilchuck School and as I looked at the giant hill I remembered last years Auquafest and how winded I was heading back to the car. As I was walking up, I wasn’t winded, I didn’t get tired and I wasn’t breathing hard. I knew at that moment I was going to be ok. I had a tank top made featuring the Lake Stevens Journal and the TeamFitness Logo with this website address and my 100 pound goal. I was proud and looked at my husband and said “Lets do this thing!”

My husband is physically fit and I asked him to run this race with me to keep me motivated. I’ve been married to this man for over 10 years and had never seen this drill sergeant side of him. After the race officials gave us the instructions through the bullhorn and the buzzer went off- he went all military on me. He kept telling me to “pick up the pace,” “keep running,” and “don’t give up.” My favorite line was about 2 miles in when he looked over at me and said “You didn’t come here to quit did you?” He was amazing and there would be no way I would have finished it without the Jogging Nazi pushing me beyond what I thought I could do. The last half mile everything changed. As I was jogging around the corner, the Boy’s and Girl’s Club came into view. Something was ignited inside of me. I can honestly say the emotion was beyond description, somewhere between exhilaration and exhaustion. I saw my friend Sarah waving at the corner. My husband pointed to the finish line and two ladies who saw my shirt and told me I was an inspiration asked if they could run me in. That fueled the fire! I have no idea where I found the strength but I gave every ounce of energy to the finish line. All four of us crossed and I burst into tears. I had finished the race. I came in 166th with a time of 45:21. I wasn’t last- and I couldn’t breathe! Sarah took a picture of me as I was leaning on my husband for support. I am so proud of that picture!

This really was a banner week. I hit the 10% mark of my 100 pound weight loss goal. I have lost 11 pounds, lost 2.3% of my body fat and lost a total of 17 ¼ inches. I lost an inch from my neck and each arm. 31/2 inches from my hips and 21/2 inches from my waist. My clothes are getting baggy and a co-worker asked me yesterday if I am losing weight. TeamFitness has become like family. I have even made skinny friends- something fat girls never do. I’m meeting people in classes and am really starting to enjoy working out. I have renamed it to “thinning-out” since the term “working out” sounds so negative.

If any of you are contemplating getting up off the couch, come “thin-out” with me. I’m usually there around 5:00pm and you can always find me in the AB Lab on Monday and Wednesday nights.

Starting weight: 242 pounds
Previous weight: 235 pounds
Current weight: 231 pounds
Current Weight Loss: -4 pounds
Total weight loss: 11 pounds

No comments: